Destination Downtown South Boston
432 Main Street
South Boston, VA 24592
1. OBJECTIVES FOR COMMUNITY EVENTS AT CONSTITUTION SQUARE
The Town of South Boston in partnership with Destination Downtown South Boston, Inc. (DDSB) permits events at Constitution Square to increase the sense of community. To ensure that events at Constitution Square are compatible with the Community’s needs, they have to meet the Community Objectives for such events, namely:
• To create a more livable, healthy community
• To encourage people to use parks and public open spaces more.
• To instill and encourage community spirit, pride, and self-help.
• To benefit the community economically.
2. OBJECTIVES FOR COMMUNITY EVENTS POLICIES
To ensure that the Objectives for Community Events at Constitution Square are achieved, it is important that there are appropriate policies and management procedures in place which:
• Equitably permit, assist and promote community events.
• Ensure that events are compatible with their proposed venues and are conducted in harmony with adjacent downtown businesses.
• Provide a readily understood document that defines the policies and processes in place to assist the development, promotion and maintenance of community events.
3. EVENT APPLICATION PROCESS
An applicant for an event must submit a completed Event Application Form to the Main Street Office. The form must be submitted no later than one month prior to the event.
4. CONTRACTS AND FEES
• All site users will be required to contract with the Town of South Boston in order to reserve exclusive use of Constitution Square.
• Usage Fee – All users must pay a usage fee of $50.00. The usage fee will be used to cover maintenance, electricity and grounds keeping purposes. The usage fee is nonrefundable and is payable to the Town of South Boston.
• For any event longer than three (3) hours, restroom facilities (portajohns) must be provided by the event organizer.
• The Town Of South Boston will be responsible for enforcing the usage policy of the stage and ensure that users will be dealt with in a fair and just manner.
• Any renter who contracts to use Constitution Square must carry a liability insurance policy. The Event Organizer will need to provide a certificate of insurance along with the Event Application Form.
• If any type of food will be served or food vendors will be at the event, the Event Organizer must follow all Virginia Department of Health Requirements and provide the Town of South Boston with a copy of that completed paperwork and a copy of any fees that have been paid.
5. EVENT MANAGEMENT
• It is important that events start and finish at reasonable times and that noise levels are compatible with the neighborhood and the surrounding business community. Events may not continue past midnight.
• An Event Manager must be designated by the Event Organizer. The Event Manager will be the prime contact with the Main Street Office.
• The Event Manager is responsible for the actions and consequences arising from the event. The Event Manager must Apply to use Constitution Square using the Application Form to book the event. Must also obtain adequate insurance for the event.
6. EVENT PROGRAMMING
The Main Street Office will:
- Receive Event Applications
- Keep an up-to-date calendar of events
- Work closely with the Event Manager to discuss the issues of the events and its content.
- Set start and completion times for the Event, taking into account Town of South Boston Code Provisions and neighborhood concerns.
The Event Organizer is also responsible for providing security for the event. If the Town is concerned for public safety or noise levels during an event, the South Boston Police Department shall advise the Event Manager who shall act promptly to ensure that public safety is addressed. Failure to do so promptly will result in closure of the event. If there are issues which cannot be resolved, the permit for the event can be revoked at any time by the South Boston Police Department.